Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Miracle of Life

Hola!

     Today, Anna Nicole and I were able to observe cesarean sections at the surgery center in the hospital near Santisimo Sacramento. We were dropped off at the doors of the operating room and the charge nurse, Karina, introduced us to the nurse we would be shadowing and working alongside. We were given surgical scrubs to change into, as well as a mask, and hair net. We had brought booties over from the states as well. We were brought into the recovery room where the nurses were performing an assessment on a mother who had just had a c-section. The nurse explained what all the documentation meant and was quite informative. After getting a good grasp on the recovery room, I asked the nurse if we would be able to see a surgery. She helped set us up and introduced us to the surgeon and anesthesiologist. A lot of people asked me is I was from the north of Spain, so I explained that my darker skin tone was because of my Indian descent. The anesthesiologist started a spinal block and explained what he was doing and within two minutes, the patient was unconscious. The surgeon then got started on the procedure and began her vertical incision because the patient had requested that specifically. Typically, a horizontal incision is performed for c-sections. After getting through skin, adipose, and the uterus, the baby was delivered and I swear it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. To be unborn one second and born the next is something that is so incredible. After the baby girl was delivered, I turned to watch the nurses perform their assessments on the newborn so I did not get to watch the placenta be removed but I did see the aftermath and boy, is that placenta huge. The baby was quiet for the first minute or so but after receiving blow by oxygen, she took her first breath and let out a might wail. My eyes teared up for a moment and I was astounded by the emotion that I felt. After the initial assessments, the baby was brought to the nursery.
     The mother was then stitched up and sent over to recovery where we watched her get hooked up to monitors. She was very stable and did not receive oxygen or any other amenities because she didn't need them. After about 30 minutes, I asked the nurse if I could perform a fundal massage. The mother was out for the most part. The nurses we worked with were very welcoming and supportive. On our way home, we heard the stories of Erin and Grace who were able to hone in on their bedside manner with a first time mother as she progressed from 4cm to 8cm. Unfortunately, they were not able to see the birth due to time constraints but hopefully they'll be able to experience that during the time we're here!
     We were able to talk with the nurses for some time so we discussed the similarities and differences of nursing in Peru and the United States. For example, in the US, in order to get one's BSN, we have to complete four years of school. Here, in Peru, they must complete four years of school and one year of internship before they can fully become independent nurses. We discovered that Peru does not focus on preventative medicine nearly as much as we do in the states. They have mostly level 2 and 3 centers for care (sometimes level 4) whereas we have levels 1-3, three being the most critical. There are no level 3 hospitals in Piura and the closest is in Lima. Can you imagine? But the medical staff throughout Peru do the best with what they can and are constantly learning. It's truly aspiring to work alongside the Peruvians and learn from them as much as they learn from us.

         Here's a picture of Anna Nicole and I with the two nurses we worked with and our patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment