Friday, July 3, 2015

Update!

     It's been a few days since the last post! My apologies! The wifi was out for the parish as well as the surrounding community for a day and we've been a bit bogged down with clinical work, our final project, and parish activities! The last few days have been eye opening and motivating. We've been working on our aggregate population projects, trying to stay ahead of the game but it was a bit hard finding research articles when the internet was out. It's also been a battle with the other people here to share the wifi but we've had a pretty steady connection all day so we've really begun to buckle down and get our work started.
     I worked at the nursing home a few times this week and I haven't been there since my first clinical day down here. The residents remembered who I was and asked why I had been away for so long. It's always interesting to work at the nursing home, especially because of the very apparent hierarchies and theatrics. The women there should have a show dedicated just to them, honestly. I think it would be a great hit with tons of laughs. The first day I was there this week, there was a fiesta going on for them so we helped bring the patients to and from their rooms and wings and danced with them. It was a sight to see! The old men really like to dance and grasped at every opportunity to show off their dance moves.
     I also worked at hospice earlier this week. It was hard for the girls who worked there this week because one of the patients there has been on a steady decline. It's been somewhat overwhelming to see an absolute circle of life by working at pro-vida, OB, and the surgical center, seeing babies before they're born and watching them enter the world, while also working with people who are closer to the end of their days. We've all really been challenged to be better nurses since we've started our clinical days here. Although our Spanish may not always be perfect, I've realized that the language of caring is universal and that a smile or a hand hold can go a long way. Working along side the residents at hospice, I've gotten a better understanding of how precious life is and how it is truly a gift.
     Since all of us are missing the 4th back home, the local school here put on an assembly dedicated solely to our Independence Day. There were dances and songs and it made me miss home while also making me happy I was in Peru. When we got to the parish, they had prepared hamburgers, fries, and apple pie for us and it was a great reminder of home. My dad texted me earlier today saying the family was seeing fireworks today. It's kind of weird not being home for the 4th, especially because it's the first one I'm not with my family for. We also attended a fiesta yesterday via another church that had a small fireworks show. It was a great way to celebrate away from home!
     I can't believe we only have one week left in Piura and another in Cusco before heading back home to the States. The days have been packed to the brim with work but they've also been flying by. I can't say I'm ready to go yet. I know I'll miss everyone I've met and been touched by. The people here are incredibly special and welcoming and I know it's going to be a sad goodbye in a week.
                                       
                                          Here's a picture of the family Marquette sponsors

                                  Catherine and I with a group of girls we played soccer with

                                                The assembly crowd for the Fourth of July



No comments:

Post a Comment